Sunday, May 7, 2017

The collectors material I use

So to complete a stamp album with preprinted pages what does one need as guidance?

As a european and living in France THE catalogue used here is Yvert & Tellier.

I  was made aware by Jim that there exists a special catalogue by Y & T related to 1840 - 1940 period: Classiques du monde.


Very nice but a little bit out of reach for my purse.

That gave me the idea to work with some older catalogues and I came up with the idea of working with catalogues I was able to acquire and were issued as close to the 1840 - 1940 period.

So I was able to acquire an Yvert & Tellier catalogue des Timbres du Monde issued in 1940.



It's the last one which was issued as a hard bound copy with the second world war and paper scarce the 41-45 editions are not very beautiful at all.

The 1940 mentions stamp issues till 1938/1939 so that's ok for me.

Then of course I needed to have a Scott's catalogue because otherwise my classification of the stamps would become more than difficult.

I found a 1943 edition of Scott's Standard Postage Stamp catalogue - Combined Edition.

So here came in an american philatelist and correspondant, John. I let the catalogue be send to him and he was so kind to send it on.






By coincidence I stumbled on a small book containing a  pricelist related to the USA - CSA - Canada stamps and which was released in 1964.

It contains a lot of stamp pictures and has Scott's numbers so that's a nice addition (for me) as well.


Then last but not least there's Big Blue's checklist as established by Jim Jackson and put into a pdf by Chris Whitehouse. My thanks go to them for their work since it really is a wonderful instrument to use when searching / looking for stamps to put in Big Blue.

For anyone interested, the checklist is available here at Big Blue 1840 - 1940.

Here's my copy.



So these are the worktools I will use to check and verify when acquiring stamps to complete my Scott's International Part 1.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you found the checklist PDF and Excel spreadsheet I put together useful!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes of course, now with autumn setting in sooner then later I'll be back into stamps more actively... hope to see you soon again ...

      Delete